I was physically ill for too much of 2014. I developed and continued dealing with some serious health issues. And we lost my Step Dad in January. These things were hard. The last two are still hard. But I also enjoyed what, to me, seemed like a long string of good fortune.
Here are some lucky things that happened to me in the past year:
1) The company I work for is in a tough spot, so we did not have a holiday party this year. We did have a nice catered lunch during the work-week with a drawing for Amex gift cards, and I won a $50 card! I promptly gave it to Darth, who promptly took it to Target, where he promptly spent it on pants for Son 1 and Son 2. To me, this was an all-around win. Except maybe for Son 3, but I bought him pants a few weeks earlier.
2) I attended MALCon with my sister in 2014. At first glance, it seemed like a convention for gamers only – but with nice folks checking us in, pretty T-Shirts with Chaz Kemp art on them, and a really, really nice vending room (truly incredible vendors!). But my sister would not let me shop, sigh, and leave. She started dragging me into various panel rooms and I ended up sitting in on a writer’s panel that really needed a woman on it. And I got to be that woman. It was great fun and I met some lovely folks, among them the incredibly talented and truly nice Lou Berger. If you like science fiction at all, you should go buy something with one of his stories in it NOW! Seriously, do it now…I’ll wait. :)
3) At MALCon (yes, I just linked that again), I signed up to win some earrings from Purple Poodle Designs – one of the aforementioned high quality vendors. And I won them! But…the notification went to my “other” box on Facebook. When I finally saw it, I sent a note to the artisan, and though it was too late for me to get the earrings, she sent me an awesome pterodactyl necklace that I like better than the earrings. Is that doubly lucky, or what?
4) I won a free download of an album by The Breaking Winds! I listen to it at the start of almost every work day and it both calms and amuses me. If you are a fan of bassoons, a fan of classical music, and a fan of classical music jokesters, check them out.
5) And most recently, I won a small drawing of a triceratops from Tara Gildow. It came a few days ago and is already up on the wall. It’s orange and I love it! The link on the artist’s name is to her website. Here is a link to her etsy site: Rocket Penguins Works.
Historically, I would not have classified myself as “lucky”. Not at all. So I am blown away by this amazing good fortune!
And, of course, good things that were not about luck also happened:
1) Son 1 also made the most amazing best friend in 2014 – the kid is a gift from God. His whole family is.
2) Son 2 started Kindergarten, and though we had a brief adoptee-anxiety issue about a month in, he is doing incredibly well. He’s well suited for school. It’s nice.
3) We all started learning Korean and Son 3 is learning Hangul and English equally, which is awesome, though I had to explain to his pre-school teacher that he’s not wrong when he thinks the symbol “E” is pronounced “t”, he’s just getting the alphabets mixed up. Hangul is an incredibly easy alphabet to learn and Korean is an elegant language. Though I am finding pronunciation and vocabulary challenging, I have high hopes for my sons, especially Son 3 (who is not the Korean son, btw).
4) Darth started working more…which I hope will lead to me working less in 2015. A lot less.
5) And last but far from least – I finished the 3rd draft of my early reader book! I started off 2015 by submitting that book to a literary agency. That was terrifying, though I can’t explain why. It’s a good book, and either they want it or they don’t (and I’m not the sort of person who gives up on the first try either). Still, I am keeping my fingers (and toes…and eyes) crossed in hope that my streak of luck holds out.
Who knows – maybe I’ll have good fortune for the duration. My grandfather was the kind of man who often won things seemingly because he willed it so. Maybe it’s my turn? Happy Year of the Sheep (or Ram or Goat, if you prefer)!
How did your 2014 wrap up? What do you think lies ahead?